[Pdns-users] Bind's $GENERATE functionality

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Mon Aug 15 20:03:15 UTC 2005

On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 01:53:11PM -0600, Laurence Brockman wrote:
> I know the PDNS' zone2sql will "honor" bind's $GENERATE functionality by
> creating a separate row for each entry within the range, but what I'd like
> to have is basically the same functionality as Bind would have with one
> entry within the MySQL table for those entries. Is this possible?

We've had one query like this before but the answer is still no, and for a
simple reason. Translating DNS into SQL in any efficient way is hard enough
as it is. Adding another lookup to see if there is a $GENERATE statement
that might generate the answer to a DNS query would generate unacceptable
overhead.

The suggested solution is to fill your SQL database using a script, which
should be easy enough to whip up.

You might try something like 'for a in $(seq 1 100); do echo INSERT INTO ...
$a.host ... ; done > sql

And then import sql.

Good luck, and sorry for not being able to serve you better from the SQL
backend, but I hope you understand our reasons.

Bert.