[Pdns-users] PowerDNS hangs when used with recursor=

Harald Kapper hk at kapper.net
Tue May 18 04:08:52 UTC 2004

hi list,
from my experience I can confirm the described behaviour when using the supplied
recursor of the powerdns-rpm.

my solution was simply to use another recursor - as suggested by the
powerdns-docs.

in my case I simply used the previously running bind as the recursor using the
following named.conf:

[root at test01 root]# cat /etc/named.conf
// generated by named-bootconf.pl

options {
        directory "/var/named";

        listen-on port 5300 { 127.0.0.1; };

};

//
// a caching only nameserver config
//
controls {
        inet 127.0.0.1 allow { localhost; } keys { rndckey; };
};
zone "." IN {
        type hint;
        file "named.ca";
};

zone "localhost" IN {
        type master;
        file "localhost.zone";
        allow-update { none; };
};

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" IN {
        type master;
        file "named.local";
        allow-update { none; };
};

include "/etc/rndc.key";

this is based on a default-redhat-setup so your localhost-zones might vary, of
course you can also skip everything except the options for localhost and port
5300 as well as the "." zone for the root-nameservers.

for other recursor-backends refer to the powerdns-docs.
my experience with the above config: running for weeks without trouble.

best
Harald Kapper, icq# 36178328         kapper.net, inc.
managing director                    loeblichgasse  6
chief software development           1090 vienna, .at
tel +43 1 3195500-0, fax +43 1 3195502, hk at kapper.net
 All programmers are optimists
 -- Frederick P. Brooks, Jr.