[Pdns-users] Round-robin CNAME behaviour

Rob Casey open-source at bluebottle.com
Mon Mar 29 11:26:09 UTC 2004

G'Day All,

I am looking to establish a round-robin DNS configuration for certain
hostnames in our Power DNS server.  Under Bind, this could be easily
performed used using something similar to the following:

    www.test.com.   IN CNAME    host1.test.com.
    www.test.com.   IN CNAME    host2.test.com.

I have sought to implement a similar configuration using Power DNS in the
following manner:

INSERT INTO records VALUES
(44,1,'www.test.com','CNAME','host1.test.com',86400,NULL,NULL);
INSERT INTO records VALUES
(45,1,'www.test.com','CNAME','host1.test.com',86400,NULL,NULL);

However upon querying the Power DNS server, only the first entry is returned
- For example:

    localhost:~ > host www.test.com localhost
    www.test.com      CNAME   host1.test.com
    host1.test.com   A       127.0.0.1

Is there something which I am doing wrong with this configuration?  The
server is question is a modified 2.9.16 server running on a Linux 2.4.x
kernel - Note that the modifications on this server relate primarily to
query logging (to enable logging of [successful] queries served from a local
backend to a database table in a manner appropriate for an internal
application).

In short, how do I do round-robin DNS configurations in Power DNS?

Regards,
Rob

--
Rob Casey