[Pdns-users] PowerDNS 2.9.16 + dnscache not working

Matt Dainty matt at bodgit-n-scarper.com
Fri Mar 12 22:38:27 UTC 2004

Hi,

I've successfully built and installed PowerDNS 2.9.16 on my
NetBSD/sparc64 system running -current snapshot 20040305. I'm just using
the LDAP backend talking to an OpenLDAP server running on the same host.

I'm trying to use dnscache as the recursive resolver as although the
recursor builds with a little help, it doesn't run. dnscache builds and
installs, and is configured to run on loopback with my ISP's two dns
servers.

I can query my ISP dns servers directly for records, and also query
dnscache for the same records, works correctly.

I can query PowerDNS for records that I know are answered in LDAP but I
can't get PowerDNS to successfully answer queries via dnscache:

polymorph# env DNSCACHEIP=192.168.23.15 dnsqr a www.google.com
Mar 12 22:42:50 polymorph pdns[108]: Recursive query for remote 192.168.23.15 with internal id 1 was not answered by backend within timeout, reusing id
Mar 12 22:42:50 polymorph pdns[108]: Discarding untracked packet from recursor backend with id 7937. Contrack table size=2
Mar 12 22:42:53 polymorph pdns[108]: Discarding untracked packet from recursor backend with id 7938. Contrack table size=3

What's puzzling me is that in the dnscache logs, I can see dnscache get
the query and return the answer immediately:

2004-03-12 22:42:50.132602500 query 7 7f000001:92d6:e6b0 1 www.google.com.
2004-03-12 22:42:50.132630500 cached cname www.google.com.  www.google.akadns.net.
2004-03-12 22:42:50.132650500 tx 0 1 www.google.akadns.net. . d4688241 d4688209
2004-03-12 22:42:50.183048500 rr d4688241 107 1 www.google.akadns.net.  42660968
2004-03-12 22:42:50.183072500 rr d4688241 107 1 www.google.akadns.net.  42660963
2004-03-12 22:42:50.183092500 stats 7 273 1 0
2004-03-12 22:42:50.183104500 sent 7 99
2004-03-12 22:42:53.178095500 query 8 7f000001:92d6:e5b0 1 www.google.com.
2004-03-12 22:42:53.178122500 cached cname www.google.com.  www.google.akadns.net.
2004-03-12 22:42:53.178143500 cached 1 www.google.akadns.net.
2004-03-12 22:42:53.178159500 sent 8 99

The only cause of this in the docs suggests the backend not answering
within a large period of time, which this doesn't look like to me.

Any idea?

Matt
--
"Accept anything. Then explain it your way."