[Pdns-users] PDNS + WinXP Pro + Round-Robin Load Balancing = True?

Harald Kapper hk at kapper.net
Wed Jun 23 05:12:02 UTC 2004

(and now to the list... why is this return-to-field so nasty to me...)

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 15:59:05 +0200, "MainGear - Nicholas"
<MainGear at crackinggear.net> wrote:
>I'm running PowerDNS, the latest version, on Windows XP Pro for my small
>network of IRC-servers on different locations. I have added A-entries for each
>of the servers, now I wonder; how can I make it so that clients is directed to
>one of my servers randomly?
>
>I've heard about adding several A-entries but with different target IP's like:
>
>irc.cr.gt A 1.2.3.4
>irc.cr.gt A 4.3.2.4
>irc.cr.gt A 789.789.789.789
>
>But it doesn't work for me.

well - it doesn't work for you yet doesn't mean it works for noone :)

I guess your local winxp-dns-client-cache is playing fool with you - try to
ping irc.cr.gt
ipconfig /flushdns
ping irc.cr.gt
(probably repeat the flushdns and ping loop some more often) and you'll see it's
round robin.

after all it's the clients decision which A record it gets returned it uses and
there are only small possibilities in "normal" nameservers like pdns to specify
which clients should get which IPs (eg. based on networkdistance or similar).

again - use *nix and you'll achieve the more real-world-examples - even when
testing.

best
Harald Kapper, icq# 36178328         kapper.net, inc.
managing director, owner,            loeblichgasse  6
chief executive officer              1090 vienna, .at
tel +43 1 3195500-0, fax +43 1 3195502, hk at kapper.net