[Pdns-users] soa questions

Ueli Heuer ueli at heuer.org
Wed Jun 30 10:22:11 UTC 2004

Hi pdns user,

a customer from us has set up a domain with a soa serial of 0 (zero).

Pdns has never started a zonetransfer, and in the logfiles pdns writes "zone xyz is fresh".

as far as I know dns-servers fetches the zones only if the remote serial is bigger then there own copy.  in my case my server does not have the zone in the (Mysql-)DB and it compares a 0 'a database null or no records found' with a 0 (zero).  these are equal and no zone transfers happenes.

I'm not sure if a SOA-Serial of 0 is allowed or not. If it is, then this a minor bug within Powerdns else I have to teach our customer.

does anyone know more about that issue ?

Thanks
 Ueli

--
Cyberlink Internet Services AG        Tel +41 1 287 2992
Richard Wagnerstrasse 6               Fax +41 1 287 2991
CH-8002 Zuerich                       heuer at cyberlink.ch
                                 http://www.cyberlink.ch

--
"The software said it requires Windows 95 or better,
                                                 so I installed Linux"