[Pdns-users] CNAME Question

Gabriel Ambuehl gabriel_ambuehl at buz.ch
Fri Jul 9 12:09:12 UTC 2004

Friday, July 9, 2004, 9:49:16 AM, you wrote:

>> What recommendations do you have for my situation.  I virtual host most of
>> the websites, and therefore cannot have more than 1 A record for that IP
>> address, that is why I was using the CNAME. I was trying to make it so
>> when the user went to xxxxxx.com, without the www, it would resolve the
>> correct web server.
> The trick is to do it the other way, give xxx.com an A record and CNAME
> www.xxx.com to it.

Uuuh why wouldn't you be able to use more than 1 A record per IP? We
do infact have thousands per IP. That works just fine with both
bind and powerdns, moreover, it's also slightly faster to boot.

Only thing you CAN'T do is having more than one PTR (reverse) but
that can't be remedied with CNAMEs either.

Best regards,
 Gabriel