[Pdns-users] PowerDNS Recursor Question

Clint Martin clintm at laplink.com
Fri Jan 16 17:28:39 UTC 2004

actually,

If the PDNS server is authoritative for a zone (clint.nt in my example)
and a query comes in for a record which is not located in the zone
(bob.clint.nt for example)  the server checks it's SQL backend, doesn't
find the record, and passes the query to the recursor.  Since PDNS is
authoritative for the zone, I don't think it should pass the query to
the recursor at all, rather it should return NXDOMAIN directly.  If you
send a query with the no-recurse option, the PDNS server does return
NXDOMAIN without passing to the recursor.

make sense?

I really appreciate how responsive this list is! It's a breath of fresh
air!

Clint