[Pdns-users] No transfer starting ?

Ian R. Justman ianj at ian-justman.com
Mon Jan 12 18:21:51 UTC 2004

I originally meant to reply to the whole list but got just Jeroen.  Oh
well, win a few, lose a few.

I have a feeling that the "two-to-the-thirtieth gigasecond milestone"
event caused my problem.  Basically, it said my copy was stale, yet
refused to do a zone transfer.  As a result, one nameserver, Sakura was
pounding my other nameserver, Narshe, in excess of 500 times a SECOND,
revised from what I'd originally estimated and written to Jeroen.  The
disk fillup on Sakura was definitely no exaggeration.  (It was over half
empty on a good day, even with the loggage resulting from dictionary
hammering I routinely get from would-be spammers.)

I rebuilt PowerDNS with that patch as mentioned on the list and the
problem went away.  Zone transferred and All Was Good with the World(R).

--Ian.

Jeroen Wunnink wrote:
> Since last week all transfers to the superslave stopped.., it sees that
> a zone needs to be updated, but it doesn't initiate the transfer..
>
>  From the log:
>
> Jan 12 15:22:36 fallback pdns[462]: 26 slave domains need checking
> Jan 12 15:22:36 fallback pdns[462]: Domain spijshuisdedis.nl is stale,
> master serial 2004011003, our serial 2003112102
> Jan 12 15:22:36 fallback pdns[462]: Domain pannenkoekenhut.nl is stale,
> master serial 2004010603, our serial 2004010601
>
> etc, etc.., this message pops by every 1 or 2 seconds..
>
> I've tried updating to the latest pdns-static-2.9.13-1, to no avail..
>
> Anyone got a suggestion on what might be wrong here ?

I got it substantially worse.  I was getting SCORES AND SCORES of them
EVERY SECOND.  Yesterday, it was so bad, it filled the drive on which
the system logs were stored.  Broke a lot of things.

--Ian.