[Pdns-users] Possible bug in powerdns logging

Michael Reynolds wshs at delinked.us
Sun Jan 11 21:05:13 UTC 2004

In a matter of 1 second, nearly 4000 entries were logged to syslog.

Jan 11 15:03:49 core pdns[29740]: Query: 'select
content,ttl,prio,type,domain_id,name from records where type='SOA' and
name='delinked.us''
Jan 11 15:03:49 core pdns[29740]: Query: 'select
content,ttl,prio,type,domain_id,name from records where type='SOA' and
name='lewp.net''
Jan 11 15:03:49 core pdns[29740]: Query: 'select
content,ttl,prio,type,domain_id,name from records where type='SOA' and
name='annihilated.us''
Jan 11 15:03:49 core pdns[29740]: Query: 'select
content,ttl,prio,type,domain_id,name from records where type='SOA' and
name='the-sh0rt-b.us''
Jan 11 15:03:49 core pdns[29740]: Query: 'select
content,ttl,prio,type,domain_id,name from records where type='SOA' and
name='oper.tk''

The above 5 lines (they're five if you unwrap them) are repeaating
thousands upon thousands of times.  Woke up this morning to find my
syslog file at about 3 gigs in size.  I have loglevel=0, I've disabled
verbose logging, and log-dns-details=0.  This seems to be something new,
as it has never happened to my servers before.  Is this a bug?  If not,
how do I prevent it from running 4000 queries per second?  If more
information is needed, please don't hesitate to ask.  I've not installed
any new software on the system, nor made changes to the system itself in
the last month.  I'm running FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE.