[Pdns-users] Couting Domain Queries

AJ McKee aj.mckee at nmtbmedia.com
Mon Feb 23 18:49:45 UTC 2004

>what are you talking about?
>pdns does support postgresql.

Yep I know it does, but I don't want to limit the end user to using
postgres. Perhaps they may want to use Oracle or worse MS-SQL servers.
Hence I was looking for a way to do it so that it would be as versatile
as possible when it comes to DB server.

>and the only other way would be to have pdns do the count
>update, but that would take more resources and slow down (
>even if only a few mili-seconds ) it's response time. that
>could mean alot for people such as myself that serv over
>1,000,000 querys a day.

Yeah I thought that it would indeed slow it down, I was looking through
the code to see if there was a way I could do it myself and then just
throw hardware at the process time issues, but I don't think that would
be such a good idea. Yes it may be a mili-second or two to do the
insert, but on busy servers it would impact upon performance.

I would not mind executing a script at intervals that would get the
amount of times X domain has been served in Y number of hours, however I
cannot see at the moment how I can do this.

AJ