[Pdns-users] Supermasters And Database

MrDemeanour mrdemeanour at jackpot.uk.net
Tue Aug 24 07:43:33 UTC 2004

Ben Kennedy wrote:

> On 23 8 2004 at 10:32 am -0400, AJ McKee wrote:
>

>> I could use auto increments with MySQL, but I am trying to be as
>> database independent as possible so that if I need to change the
>> database platform to postgres, oracle, or even M$ SQL I can with
>> minimal disruption to my codebase.
>

> I thought most RDBMS support auto-increment.

Yah; but the syntax varies from one platform to another. Mostly there's
something in the DDL that lets you declare the column as auto-increment;
but Oracle is particularly painful - you have to do a query on an
imaginary table (DUAL?) that is unique to Oracle to get new values for
system-id, i.e. you can't do it with DDL at all.

--
Jack.