[Pdns-users] CNAME recursion

bert hubert ahu at ds9a.nl
Sun Aug 8 19:00:44 UTC 2004

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 07:20:30PM +0200, Radek Hladik wrote:

> only for example.com). If the option skip-cname is set to yes, pdns returns

Never ever turn that feature on unless you are 100% sure you have no CNAMES
in your database - it breaks the dns specification then.

> 'www.example.com is cname for www.example2.com'. But if I turn
> skip-cname off pdns returns 'non-exist'. I've found that pdns tries to
> found www.example2.com in it's backends but doesn't try to use recursor
> for it. If I ask for www.example2.com directly then everything is ok. (I
> have recursion allowed).

If you ask a recursing question and it has a CNAME that points to outside
your database, it should hand the question over to the recursing backend.

But only if it points to something outside your database!

Regards,

bert