[Pdns-users] Re: CNAME confusion with SOA (works for A records) ?

sil pdns at oneoddsock.co.uk
Thu Apr 8 09:13:01 UTC 2004

Hi,

purmpc> sil schrieb am Mittwoch, 7. April 2004:

>> But - the problem comes when I try to use a CNAME instead of an A
>> record.

purmpc> You cannot combine CNAMEs with other Records like NS, SOA, not even
purmpc> with other CNAMEs.

Thank you for all the replies, I am still learning about how DNS
works!

I guess what I am trying to do is have adomain.com and adomain.co.uk
give the same lookup results but only have the actual A records
defined on the .com (so the .co.uk is really 'following' the .com for
all the lookups).

I know I can point the MX an NS records on the co.uk to the .com
domain, it's just the 'A' records I am stuck because I want to allow
adomain.co.uk and adomain.com lookups to return the same IP address
but only define the IP address in one place within the database.

Am I out of luck or is this idea wrong totally?!

Many Thanks,

Sil