[Pdns-users] Verisign bullshit

Damian Gerow damian at sentex.net
Tue Sep 16 15:41:42 UTC 2003

Thus spake John Capo (jc at irbs.com) [16/09/03 10:55]:
> Chris Adams posted this list of TLDs with wildcards on nanog:
>
>     ac
>     cc
>     com
>     cx
>     mp
>     museum
>     net
>     nu
>     ph
>     pw
>     sh
>     tk
>     tm
>     ws

Thanks!  That's the list I was thinking of.  And for this reason...

> Some have wildcard MX records too. More TLDs will probably follow.

I maintain that the easiest method of blocking this type of 'service' is to
provide an option that will match the requested domain against a wildcard
version of that TLD (and same record type -- so A matches A, MX matches
MX...), and return NXDOMAIN if the result matches/is contained within the
overloaded RR.

This is probably a little more difficult to code than a simple check (I
don't know C, so I can't help much here), but will stick around for much
longer.