[Pdns-users] A few questions

Ben Merrills ben at griffin.net.uk
Tue Sep 30 15:13:34 UTC 2003

Hi,

I have a few questions about PowerDNS's operation under FreeBSD. I've
been building a number of DNS servers for our customers, the host
platform is FreeBSD 4.8, thus we've had to use Bind 9 for recursion, as
we were told that PowerDNS's recursor wouldn't compile under the current
stable (production) release of BSD.

However, I've encountered a few things that are confusing me:

*	Zone2sql produces `A` and `CNAME` records with the name just as
the sub domain, e.g. `www.mydom.com` the name field equals `www`, this
is ok, I would have presumed, that's how bind has them, however, the
queries that PowerDNS does wouldn't handle this, PowerDNS queries:
	*	www.mydom.com <http://www.mydom.com/>
	*	mydom.com
	*	.com
*	PowerDNS seems to fail when you request a CNAME record for a
domain, where the content isn't a domain defined within the same DNS
server
*	PowerDNS seems to ignore the fact that there may be a record for
a domain on the DNS, and forward the request on to the recursor, even
though the domain exists within the dns, and the SOA points to itself.

Any help you could provide would be much appreciated,

Kind Regards,

Ben Merrills
Griffin Internet
http://www.griffin.com