[Pdns-users] pdns windows

Michel Stol michel at powerdns.com
Wed Mar 26 13:44:43 UTC 2003

Ferran,

>I'm trying to use pdns on a win2000 server but i have some problem.....
>
>I execute pdns.exe:
>
>C:\Archivos de programa\PowerDNS>pdns
>This is module godbcbackend reporting
>This is a standalone pdns
>Listening on named pipe.
>Opened file './pdns.conf' for configuration
>It is advised to bind to explicit addresses with the --local-address option
>binding to UDP socket: No error
>Fatal error: Unable to bind to UDP socket

This is probably caused by a nameserver listening on port 53.
I think it's PowerDNS already running as a service, so try this:

Start->Run...->net stop pdns

And then try starting pdns.exe like you did before, it will probably work.

If you don't want PowerDNS to start automatically as a service you can disable that behaviour in the services manager
(Start->Programs->Administrative Tools->Services).

Hope this helps.

Greetings,

- Michel Stol