[Pdns-users] Wrongly sets the Authoritative Answer flag?

bert hubert ahu at ds9a.nl
Wed Mar 12 15:56:07 UTC 2003

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 04:36:04PM +0100, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> I believe there is no doubt about the correct answer but it is not
> written like that in the RFC. It is instead a consequence of various
> definitions.

Indeed. I've since fixed this issue in PowerDNS, the aa bit is now dropped
in case an NS query is made for a record that does not have a SOA type too.
This will be in 2.9.7 by default. The performance impact will be slight as
explicit queries for NS records are very rare.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention and elucidating the reasons.

> I can add that the PowerDNS Bind backend exhibits the same problem and
> that the same bug is seen when asking the A record for a nameserver in
> a subzone (a glue record):

This logic is 'higher up' in PowerDNS - the backends are quite simple in
fact and don't do any thinking. This bug is now solved for all backends.

I was already working on the glue issue, which is somewhat more subtle to
solve well while maintaining the ability to serve from SQL. 'Zone cuts' are
pretty hard to discover from SQL without trawling all records for each
query.

Will let you know how we proceed.

Regards,

bert