[Pdns-users] Zone transfer compatibility pdns <-> bind 9.1.2

Willem de Groot willem at byte.nl
Mon Mar 3 22:56:53 UTC 2003

Hi, sorry for spamming this list again, it's just that I'm really excited
about this superslave/master feature which I can't get to work.

I set up a superslave/master config, with:
- pdns 2.9.6 as superslave
- bind 9.1.2 as supermaster

But the following errors occur on the slave:

pdns[18343]: [ID 702911 daemon.notice] No serial for 'testbyte.nl' found -
zone is missing?
pdns[18343]: [ID 702911 daemon.error] Unable to AXFR zone 'testbyte.nl':
Trying to read data from remote TCP client: Connection reset by peer

This first line looks correct -- it just received a notify from the master
and hasn't got a serial yet. But while axfr'ing the zone, the transfer is
broken.

I double checked my firewall setup and I'm really sure that that is not
the problem. My packet log on the slave says:

p SL,40415 -> MA,53    PR tcp len 20 48 -S  OUT
p MA,53    -> SL,40415 PR tcp len 20 48 -AS IN
p SL,40415 -> MA,53    PR tcp len 20 40 -A  OUT
p SL,40415 -> MA,53    PR tcp len 20 71 -AP OUT
p MA,53    -> SL,40415 PR tcp len 20 40 -A  IN
p MA,53    -> SL,40415 PR tcp len 20 40 -AR IN

Where SL is the slave-ip, MA the master-ip.

According to my firewall log, pdns sends out TCP connections from another
ip than set with 'local-address' in pdns.conf. I don't think this is the
cause for my problem, because the master is set up to allow zone transfers
to both ip's. But maybe it influences it in another way?

I can't find anything suspicious in my master-log.

I'm really out of clues. Maybe you have a suggestion?

Thanks again!

Willem