[Pdns-users] Windows DB Re-connect

Rohit Agarwal rohit at dugdugi.com
Thu Mar 20 05:58:48 UTC 2003

Hello,

I've been playing around with PowerDNS 2.9.6 for Windows (2000) using ODBC
connecting to a mySQL server.

I've run into a problem where if the database is connected and I have X
threads running, and kill a couple of them or create an artificial network
problem that causes a disconnect, PDNS will die (but still listening on the
sockets). I would assume that PDNS should keep trying to reconnect to the
DB.

Instead, PDNS will say:

Thu 20 Mar 00:05:52 (1): Backend error: Could not execute query.
Thu 20 Mar 00:05:52 (1): Caught an unknown exception when creating backend,
probably

I'm assuming this is a major issue since if I'm away from the dns server and
for some reason a network problem breaks the connection between PDNS (or I
restart my db server), PDNS will freeze and seize to function.

Is there a setting I'm missing that will already get around this problem?
I'm using the basic configuration file and have looked through the docs. I
did find a pipe-timeout, that may do this, but I think it only has to do
with the PipeBackend feature.

Other than this issue, are there any other known problems with the Windows
port? Is the Windows port stable?

Thanks,
Rohit Agarwal