[Pdns-users] Bug or feature? listen on multiple IP addresses

Mohamed Lrhazi mohamed at your-site.com
Tue Mar 4 17:30:33 UTC 2003

Hello all,

Might be my understanding that has a bug though...

I have several IPs on my dns servers, say hostname and ns1.domain1,
ns1.domain2, ns1.domain3...
If I use:

# local-address Local IP address to which we bind
#
local-address=0.0.0.0

PDNS responds to all queries, no matter which IP they were addressed to
using source IP of : hostname.
This is not good, as the client that sends a UDP query to ns1.domain1
recieves an answer from hostname and sends an ICMP desctination port
unreachable in response to pdns response.

If I use local-address=ns1.domain1, then of course, pdns is no more
listening on all my other IPs.

I did not try local-address=hostname ns1.domain1 ns1.domain2

As it says Local IP and not Local IPs....

Any idea what the solution is? or what the problem is?

I am using: PDNS 2.9.5 on Aurora Linux Sparc

Thank you very much.
Mohamed~