Nonsstop problems Re: [Pdns-users] migrating from bind

Steven J. Sobol sjsobol at JustThe.net
Tue Jun 24 02:33:57 UTC 2003

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003, Craig Sanders wrote:

> what problems were you having with certain zones?
>
> i'm finding that small zones (of up to, say, a few hundred resource records)
> are working fine in either the bind or pgsql backend.

Ditto, almost.

> i'm having enormous difficulties with huge zone files that have millions of
> resource records (e.g. local mirrors of relays.osirusoft.com,
> blackholes.easynet.nl, and dynablock.easynet.nl).  aside from the regular
> security issues with bind, these huge zones (and the RAM they eat up) are the
> main reason i want to switch from bind to powerdns.

Well, I was seeing the same thing with some of the rfc-ignorant.org zones.
After I took them down, before the maintainer of the domain took my server
out of the authoritative lists, my server got pounded with queries which
also helped to kill it on some occasions.

I thought 2.9.8 was supposed to do recursion on its own?

A friend of mine runs BIND on my secondary name server, so I'll ask him if
he can slave the two anti-spam zones. I was doing Spamhaus.org too - but
NOT the DNSBL (sbl.spamhaus.org), just the main zone.

--
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge, JustThe.net
POTS: Toll Free from anywhere in the USA or Canada, 888.480.4NET (4638)