[Pdns-users] Problem with chroot and local resolving

Bauer, Georg bauer at gws.ms
Mon Jul 7 11:26:08 UTC 2003

Hi!

There is a problem as noted by SørenBoll Overgaard in May and June of this
year with PowerDNS and chroot. If the server runs chrooted, it can't send
notifications out to slaves, because the local resolving of the nameservers
to send stuff to doesn't work (presumeably because the resolver needs some
files).

I had to disable chroot on my primary because of this. Not good. Any hints
on how to do this right?

I tried to put a etc directory into the chroot jail (/var/run) of PowerDNS
with resolve.conf, nsswitch.conf, host.conf and hosts in there, patched to
allow resolving to complete. I didn't find any other files in the output of
`strings /usr/sbin/pdns_server` that seemed to be relevant for this.

I run the 2.9.10 debian package from powerdns.com on Debian 3.0.

bye, Georg