[Pdns-users] mysql2ldap anyone?

Mike Benoit ipso at snappymail.ca
Sun Dec 7 02:22:31 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-12-06 at 14:52, Joakim Ryden wrote:
> On 12/6/03 2:30 PM Markus Welsch wrote:
>
> >> For various reasons I'm looking to migrate a current pdns installation
> >> using MySQL as the backend to LDAP instead. Anyone have any ideas on
> >> the best route to go for that?
> >

> > Would you mind stating your reasons?
>
> Oh, not at all - just didn't think anyone was interested. :)
>
> The number one reason is that we have pretty much bought into LDAP for
> all other administration purposes (users, mail, web auth etc etc) and we
> wanted to clean things up a bit by consolidating DNS into this setup.

Interesting, at work we are working on migrating away from LDAP to MySQL
for our relatively large mail system (over a million POP checks/day
alone, load balanced over 3 servers, who knows how many millions of
emails).

> These factors were also among the contributing ones:
>
> - Some *strictly* unscientific testing we have done turned out in LDAP's
> favor as far speed on reads. This may or may not be true in general, YMMV.

This may be true, but with a properly tuned MySQL setup, I would be very
surprised if you notice a a large difference, especially since PDNS uses
such simple queries. (We have a shared MySQL database that does over
1000queries/sec on a Dual PII-500 with 512mb ram). With our LDAP setup,
we're running in to massive write problems though. Often times writes
exceed 4seconds when the LDAP server is under heavy read load. MySQL is
always under 10ms.

Not to mention transactions can be a real life saver especially when
doing mass updates. LDAP doesn't offer this capability, so if even the
slightest thing goes wrong you have no way to roll back... Good luck
checking a huge LDAP directory for consistency during peak load. ;)

Of course we use OpenLDAP, and not a commercial product which are
apparently much better.

Mike Benoit <ipso at snappymail.ca>