[Pdns-users] PowerDNS performance compared to other nameservers

Markus Welsch markus.welsch at suk.de
Wed Dec 3 14:45:31 UTC 2003

Hi,

 > In a real-world PowerDNS installation with a MySQL backend, I'm
 > currently seeing 212q/s (non-peak hours), (load average: 0.30, 0.30,
 > 0.38) this is with fairly heavy logging enabled and only a 24% cache
 > hit rate. (Way lower then we normally see) We've also seen spikes as
 > high as 2200q/s. The server is a old single processor P3-866 with 1gb
 > ram running PowerDNS, MySQL, and Bind (for recursion) on the same
 > machine.

I have a couple of questions since I'm about to switch from BIND to
PowerDNS:

	1. Which database scheme are you using?
	2. Which MySQL version are you using?
	3. Which MySQL table type?
	4. What about secondary NS - how did you implement that?
	5. Would you mind sending me your PowerDNS configuration?

Thanks for your answers in advance.

Cheers,

Markus