[Pdns-users] stability problem.

Bart Verbeek powerdns.com at compteurs.nl
Thu Dec 18 12:43:53 UTC 2003

Hi all,

I've got a stability problem with powerdns version 2.9.13.

First I will tell you my configuration.

I'm running powerdns on a windows 2000 enviroment, with the data stored in a SQL database.
I've created the table using the SQL queries described in SQLlite, and after that I manually changed the ID part of the tables to autonumber.

for testing I created a single zone with around 1000 records for a single domain.
for this I used zone2sql with the --gmysql output.

the sql query created by this program runs fine. and my table is filled without errors.

the SQL database will be connected through ODBC.
everything runs fine.

but now, if I start nslookup on my win2k workstation, and take the following steps;

>server {ip adres of my test server}
>ls testdomain.ext

Ok this still works fine, and my list will be returned

then directly after I received the whole list (1000 records) I reenter the command
 >ls testdomain.ext
sometimes it works, but sometimes the testserver becomes irresponsive causing NSLOOKUP to have a fatal exception error.
if the second time doesn't end up in failure, it will do the third time.

if I look at the output on the screen it looks like this:

---

H:\!pdns\hele program dir>pdns
This is module godbcbackend reporting
This is module gsqlite reporting
Listening on named pipe.
It is advised to bind to explicit addresses with the --local-address option
UDP server bound to 0.0.0.0:53
TCP server bound to 0.0.0.0:53
PowerDNS 2.9.13-WIN32 (C) 2001-2003 PowerDNS.COM BV (Nov 30 2003, 03:30:37) starting up
PowerDNS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it according to the terms of the GPL version 2.
DNS Proxy launched, local port 41776, remote 127.0.0.1:5300
Creating backend connection for TCP
Launched webserver on 127.0.0.1:8081
godbc Connection succesful
About to create 3 backend threads
godbc Connection succesful
godbc Connection succesful
godbc Connection succesful
AXFR of domain 'interconnect.nl' initiated by 212.83.192.131
godbc Connection succesful
AXFR of domain 'interconnect.nl' to 212.83.192.131 finished
AXFR of domain 'interconnect.nl' initiated by 212.83.192.131
godbc Connection succesful
AXFR of domain 'interconnect.nl' to 212.83.192.131 finished
AXFR of domain 'interconnect.nl' initiated by 212.83.192.131
godbc Connection succesful
TCP Connection Thread caught unknown exception.
Caught unknown exception in Distributor thread 3102680
Caught unknown exception in Distributor thread 3102968
Caught unknown exception in Distributor thread 3103232

H:\!pdns\hele program dir>zone2dns

---

the last three errors are displayed if I reconnect with a new NSLOOKUP session. after 3 lookups the pdns.exe just quits.

in a way it seems that the odbc connection backed up. so no more connections are allowed.

Somebody any suggestions?