[Pdns-users]

Ryan Baldwin rbaldwin at point2.com
Wed Aug 27 15:23:13 UTC 2003

Hi everybody.  We're getting some funny behavior with CNAME records that have a specific content.  We have multiple domains and for a number of these domains, we're attempting to point a CNAME to webmail.secureserver.net.  These CNAME's fail fail with this error:
"Detected a CNAME loop involving webmail.secureserver.net, sending SERVFAIL"<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Now, we've tried pointing these CNAME records someplace else and it works fine, however whenever we try to point them to webmail.secreserver.net it fails.  The really odd thing here is that Webmail.secureserver.net is a host record, not a CNAME, so no CNAME loop should exist.  We tested this out also on MS DNS on Win2K and MS DNS handles this record without a problem.  As we stated before, this is the only CNAME record that doesn't work -- in all other cases, PDNS handles the CNAME records just fine.

Does anybody have any suggestions or insight?  We're using 2.9.10 on Win2K Server backing off ODBC/SQL2K.  All service paks for Win2k Server and SQL2K are installed.

Thanks in Advance everybody!

- Ryan Baldwin
Programmer
Point2 Technologies Inc.