[Pdns-users] recursor problem

Ian R. Justman ianj at ian-justman.com
Sun Aug 24 18:13:54 UTC 2003

Norbert Sendetzky wrote:

> On Friday 22 August 2003 21:38, bert hubert wrote:
>
>>>Unable to parse configuration file
>>>'/usr/local/etc/recursor.conf'.
>>
>>This is not a real problem, unless you want to configure the
>>pdns_recursor further, in which case you should create a
>>recursor.conf, in which you can enter all the settings you see in
>>pdns_recursor --help
>

> Well, a generated recursor.conf.dist in /etc/powerdns/ would be nice
> (like the pdns.conf.dist). I think most people would like to run
> pdns_server and pdns_recursor on one machine, so they at least have
> to set local-address and local-port.

Here's what I run on my own machines:

local-address=127.0.0.2
quiet

Yeah, I know, no comments, but eh, just whipped up something real
quick-like so I could get things working. :)

Then I point the main PowerDNS server process to 127.0.0.2:53 for any
queries which require recursion (the main process listens on the main
Internet interfaces on port 53 as well as 127.0.0.1 port 53).

Though now, I will probably redo the script I use to monitor whether
pdns_recursor is running or not since now it lays down a PID file.

Incidentally, has anyone written a SysV-type script to control
pdns_recursor's startup, running, and shutdown?  It'd be nice to have one
already written (that way I don't reinvent the wheel), though I could hack
an existing script out there if need be.  Thanks in advance!

--Ian.