[Pdns-users] GCC versions?

bert hubert ahu at ds9a.nl
Fri Aug 22 18:24:06 UTC 2003

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 08:56:19AM -0700, Ian R. Justman wrote:

> Under Debian Woody, the only 3.x series compiler that's offered with the
> official distribution is 3.0.  Has anyone had any experience building
> PDNS under 3.x under Debian Woody?  Though I -COULD- take the plunge
> then go Sarge on all my servers since Sarge uses GCC 3.3.2 by default
> nowadays.  That or go hit apt-get.org and use any of the number of
> unofficial repositories of debs of GCC 3.3.x.

I suggest using the precompiled version, or just install gcc 3.3.x in
/opt/gcc. Gcc can easily live in its own directory, to use it for compiling,
just prepend /opt/gcc/bin to your path. In fact, that is how I build the
static PDNS releases.

Compiling gcc is very easy:
	tar xjf gcc-core.tar.bz2 (more or less)
	tar xjf gcc-c++.tar.bz2 (more or less)
	cd gcc (more or less)
	mkdir ian
	cd ian
	../configure --prefix=/opt/gcc --enable-languages=c++"
	make
	make install

Good luck!