[Pdns-users] Problem with Multihomed pdns server...

Matthew Walker mwalker at kydance.net
Thu Apr 24 21:48:57 UTC 2003

Brad Knowles said:
> At 11:32 PM +0200 2003/04/24, bert hubert wrote:
>
>>>  	Perhaps, but by doing this you lose track of which IP address a
>>>  packet came in on, and therefore you're not able to generate your
>>> reply using the same one.
>>
>>  Nonsense. Please *read* the documentation.
>
> 	I have.  I've also read your own e-mails on this subject.  In
> 2003 23:09:57 +0200, you just said:
>
> | local-address=...
> |
> |    Local IP address to which we bind. You can specify multiple addresses
> | separated by commas or whitespace. It is highly advised to bind to
> specific | interfaces and not use the default 'bind to any'. This causes
> big problems | if you have multiple IP addresses. Unix does not provide a
> way of figuring | out what IP address a packet was sent to when binding to
> any.
> |
> | http://doc.powerdns.com/all-settings.html
>
> 	Please re-read your last sentence.
>
>>                                             PowerDNS binds to multiple
>>  sockets if you specify multiple IP addresses. It does not bind to
>> 'ANY'.
>
> 	Please re-read these sentences, and then re-re-read your last
> sentence from the quoted paragraph above.

Follow your own advice. I quote:

Unix does not provide a way of figuring out what IP address a packet was
sent to when binding to any.

and...

PowerDNS binds to multiple sockets if you specify multiple IP addresses. It
does not bind to 'ANY'.

If you specify multiple addresses in the local_address line, it binds
directly to them, /NOT/ to the ANY socket, so it knows where data is coming
from. If you don't specify any local addresses, it binds to ANY, and thus
doesn't know where packets are coming from.

Specifying multiple local addresses has fixed it so that I only have to run
one instance, and it works perfectly. Thank you!

Matthew