[Pdns-users] PowerDNS cannot handle the load?

Mike Benoit mikeb at netnation.com
Wed Apr 9 16:09:41 UTC 2003

What was your cache timeout set to? How often did you query the same
records?

What are the hardware specs? We can easily handle 500+ queries/sec on a
PIII-866 with a PostgreSQL backend. If the queries aren't hitting the
cache, the bottleneck is almost always the database, have you tuned
Postgres?

I've never used the PDNS Bind backend, so I can't comment on that,
however common sense would dictate it would be much faster then any SQL
backend.

Try querying the exact same record over and over again with PDNS, how
many queries/sec do you get then? This should show you the difference
between PDNS's cache performance, and the database performance.

On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 05:17, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> I benchmarked PowerDNS (both with the PostgreSQL and the BIND backend)
> with a big zone ('.fr', 150,000 domains) and a big load (generated by
> BIND/contrib queryperf).
>
> PowerDNS cannot handle the load, the response times are ridiculy slow
> and very often, the server completely stops answering. For instance,
> here are two tests performed in sequence, notice the sharp decrease of
> the performances:
>
> [...]
>   Queries sent:         1000 queries
>   Queries completed:    1000 queries
>   Queries lost:         0 queries
>
>   Percentage completed: 100.00%
>   Percentage lost:        0.00%
>
>   Started at:           Wed Apr  9 13:51:36 2003
>   Finished at:          Wed Apr  9 13:51:36 2003
>   Ran for:              0.067389 seconds
>
>   Queries per second:   14839.217083 qps
>
> [...]
>
>   Queries sent:         1000 queries
>   Queries completed:    1000 queries
>   Queries lost:         0 queries
>
>   Percentage completed: 100.00%
>   Percentage lost:        0.00%
>
>   Started at:           Wed Apr  9 13:51:39 2003
>   Finished at:          Wed Apr  9 13:51:44 2003
>   Ran for:              5.173813 seconds
>
>   Queries per second:   193.281048 qps
>
> Neither BIND9, nor nsd, exhibits such a dramatic change, even with
> much higher loads.
>
> I tried increasing distributor-threads to match the maximum number of
> queries that queryperf can send (20, by default), with no results.
>
> Is PowerDNS really useable for a ccTLD ('.fr' is not the largest one,
> by far)?

Best Regards,

Mike Benoit
NetNation Communications Inc.