[Pdns-users] Performance?

Mike Benoit mikeb at netnation.com
Fri Apr 4 20:16:50 UTC 2003

With that many updates, make sure you use InnoDB table types. This will
give you row level locking, and probably the only way MySQL will work
for you. Alternatively use PostgreSQL, though it may be slightly slower.

Uptime: 28.1 days Queries/second, 1, 5, 10 minute averages: 106, 102,
102. Max queries/second: 950

Our nameservers are PIII-866's running PDNS, and PostgreSQL on the same
box, it handles spikes without much problem at all. The key of course is
in the caching values you set. We set our cache to timeout after 1day,
but to still get instant updates, we simply push cache expiration
commands to PDNS. (pdns_control purge www2.blah.com) This gives you the
best of both worlds and you should be able to scale PDNS well past
thousands of queries/sec.

On Thu, 2003-04-03 at 15:26, Dan Durrer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are considering using PowerDNS for a service we offer.  Currently we
> are using BIND 9.  My question is just how well does this software
> perform under heavy load?  Are we going to run into MySQL limitations?
> We heavily use the dynamic update feature of bind.  Processing roughly
> 300/updates a minute.  Our primary dns server answers about 480
> queries/sec.  One big concern I have with BIND is that after it has been
> running for a few hours it can take up to 15 minutes to completely shut
> down, due to all the journal files that get synced.
>
> Anyone out there care to share there experiences with powerDNS and it
> ability to handle high traffic?  Additionally does MySQL replication
> master/slave scenario use more or less bandwidth than a bind IXFR based
> system?
>

> Thank you,
> Dan

Best Regards,