[Pdns-dev] ALIAS not resolving to IP address

Chhavi Mittal chhavi.mittal at verizonmedia.com
Mon Mar 29 19:31:00 UTC 2021

Hello,

I have a pdns and pdns_recursor running on the same server and I have one
ALIAS record and one A record for the alias both belonging to the same
domain entry but when I do 'dig' on the ALIAS it's not returning an answer.
This is what I have in my mysql:

Domains

+-----+------+--------+------------+--------+

| id  | name | master | last_check | type   |

+-----+------+--------+------------+--------+

| 274 | .    | NULL   |       NULL | NATIVE |

+-----+------+--------+------------+--------+

Records

+---+--------------------------+------+-------------+

274 | mydomain.com             | A     | 10.1.164.107

+---+--------------------------+------+-------------+

274 | securityservices.com | ALIAS | mydomain.com

+---+---------------------------+------+-------------+

I am expecting the final answer of 'securityservices.com' to be "10.1.164.107".
I feel I have a problem in my configuration but I am not able to figure it
out. Please help!!

*pdns config:*

expand-alias=yes

resolver=127.0.0.1:8699

setgid=pdns

setuid=pdns

*recursor config:*

allow-from=0.0.0.0/0

forward-zones=.=127.0.0.1

local-address=127.0.0.1

local-port=8699

setgid=pdns

setuid=pdns

All other configurations are left to default.. Can't figure out if the
forward-zones and allow-from values are correct or not.

Have been stuck on this for many days now, any help will be highly
appreciated!

Best,

Chhavi Mittal