[Pdns-dev] First Release Candidate for PowerDNS Authoritative Server 4.5.0

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at powerdns.com
Fri Jun 25 09:39:15 UTC 2021

Hello!

Today we released the first Release Candidate for Authoritative Server
version 4.5.0.

Version 4.5.0 mostly brings small improvements and fixes, but there is
one notable new feature: the zone cache.

The zone cache allows PowerDNS to keep a list of zones in memory,
updated periodically. With this cache, PowerDNS can avoid hitting the
database with queries for unknown domains. In some setups, and some
attack scenarios, this can make a serious performance difference.

Since 4.5.0-beta1, the zone cache is enabled by default.

A full list of changes can be found in the [1]changelog.

Please make sure to read the [2]Upgrade Notes before upgrading.

With version 4.5.0, support for platforms with a time_t type smaller
than 64 bits is dropped. This means that we do not build packages for
Raspberry Pi OS.

The [3]tarball ([4]signature) is available at
[5]downloads.powerdns.com. Packages for various distributions are
available from [6]repo.powerdns.com.

Please send us all feedback and issues you might have via the
[7]mailing list, or in case of a bug, via [8]GitHub.

  1.
https://doc.powerdns.com/authoritative/changelog/4.5.html#change-4.5.0-rc1
  2. https://doc.powerdns.com/authoritative/upgrading.html
  3. https://downloads.powerdns.com/releases/pdns-4.5.0-rc1.tar.bz2