[Pdns-dev] Cant get getDomainInfo on Remote backend to work

Austin Brandis hansasake at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 15:08:26 UTC 2020

Hi,

Please let me know if I'm not on the right mailing list.
I've searched all the github issues, and elsewhere but have not found
anything helpful.

Currently developing a remote backend, but am having some trouble with the
getDomainInfo call.

I'm making a POST request to the web API to /domain/add

Here is where I get lost...
My backend receives a getDomainInfo query after an Initialize.
Whilst I found this initially odd, I figured that maybe PDNS was confirming
the presence of any domain first, and then an "set" query would be issued
later.
Though the documentation for remote backend (
https://doc.powerdns.com/authoritative/backends/remote.html) also does not
indicate which "query" does the adding.
I figured I'd just work it out when the relevant JSON arrives.

My backend receives a getDomainInfo JSON as such
<https://doc.powerdns.com/authoritative/backends/remote.html#getdomaininfo>
e.g.  {"method":"getdomaininfo","parameters":{"name":"foo.com"}}

when foo.com does not exit it is unclear in the documentation what the
backend should return.
No matter what I try the HTTP response from the WEB API after the POST is
always 400, and PDNS closes the socket to my backend.
All suggesting PDNS remote is not happy with the JSON response to the
getDomainInfo query

I have tried
{"result":{}}
{"result":""}
{"result":null}
{"result":false}
{"result":"zone":{}}
{"result":"zone":""}
{"result":"zone":null}

What am I doing wrong ?
I assume domain additions are implemented in remote backend ?

Thanks
Austin