[Pdns-dev] PowerDNS Authoritative Server 4.2.0 Release Candidate 2

Erik Winkels erik.winkels at open-xchange.com
Fri Jun 14 12:35:11 UTC 2019

Hi all,

(via: https://blog.powerdns.com/2019/06/14/powerdns-authoritative-server-4-2-0-release-candidate-2/ )

We are pleased to announce the second Release Candidate for Authoritative Server version 4.2.0. Many of our users have given RC1 a spin, and we very much appreciate their feedback.

RC2 contains a host of minor robustness improvements, some performance increases, and other improvements. We’ll name a few here; for the rest, please see the changelog[1]:

- improved logging in gsqlbackend, and in the web server
- no more path discovery on UDP; no more disabling of TCP
- when truncating a response might strip out relevant glue, we instead truncate the whole packet now
- the `sdig` tool can query DoH servers now
- backend transactions (from either the API or pdnsutil) now use transactions correctly for most situations. This avoids funky ‘my record disappeared for 1 millisecond and now everybody has that cached’ situations.
- LUA records can now be configured to reuse their Lua state between invocations, giving a 7x speedup!

Please try this version, especially if you had any problems with RC1. With some luck, RC2 can become 4.2.0 with no changes in just a week or two!

The tarball[2] (sig[3]) is available at downloads.powerdns.com and packages for CentOS 6 and 7, Debian Jessie and Stretch, Ubuntu Bionic, Trusty, Xenial and Cosmic are available from repo.powerdns.com.

Please send us all feedback and issues you might have via the mailing list[4], or in case of a bug, via GitHub[5].

[1] https://doc.powerdns.com/authoritative/changelog/4.2.html#change-4.2.0-rc2
[2] https://downloads.powerdns.com/releases/pdns-4.2.0-rc2.tar.bz2
[3] https://downloads.powerdns.com/releases/pdns-4.2.0-rc2.tar.bz2.sig