[Pdns-dev] Sqlite3 locking

Justin Clift justin at postgresql.org
Mon Sep 12 20:08:16 UTC 2016

On 12 Sep 2016, at 20:53, Angelo Ativo <aativo at threatstop.com> wrote:
<snip>
> Wouldn’t the chances of this failure be relatively high if there were say, hundreds of NSUPDATE requests to a PDNS server backed by sqlite3 every second? What happens when two NSUPDATE requests occur at the exact same time?

Note - I’m not a PDNS developer, so can’t comment on the retry thing (though
it sounds useful).

Specifically with the SQLite bit though, it’s not really designed for high
write rates (with contention).  If someone’s usage is becoming like that,
it’d be a good idea to migrate the SQL backend to something  with good write
contention handling. (there are many options, though naturally I’ll point
at PostgreSQL as being decent :>)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

- Indira Gandhi