[Pdns-dev] powerdns supermasters bug or by design?

M. Vale maurovale at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 01:38:11 CEST 2015

Hi,

We have deployed 2 DNS with powerdns (x.domain.tld and y.domain.tld).

We have 20 servers on each server we configured bind to allow transfers to
the 2 powerdns above.

(what we want is that all domains on the 20 servers use the same
authoritative dns x.domain.tld and y.domain.tld).

We went to x.domain.tld and added the following to the supermasters
database:

insert into supermasters (ip,nameserver) VALUES ('xx.xx.xx.xx',
'x.domain.tld)
insert into supermasters (ip,nameserver) VALUES ('yy.yy.yy.yy',
'x.domain.tld)
...repeat for 18 more times replacing only the IP.

What we have realised is:

If domain (test1.tld) is on server with ip yy.yy.yy.yy, powerdns after
receiving a AXFR adds the domains to the 'domains' table like this:

+----+-------------------------+---------------+------------+--------+-----------------+---------+
| id | name                    | master        | last_check | type   |
notified_serial | account |
|  6 | test1.tld        | xx.xx.xx.xx, yy.yy.yy.yy | 1435437813 | SLAVE
|            NULL |         |

After that it stops listening for changes on IP yy.yy.yy.yy. and trys to
check the domain on xx.xx.xx.xx

Why does powerdns do this?

It is possible to change this behavior to only include on the master record
the IP that created the domain?

Best Regards