[Pdns-dev] Recursor 3.5.3 released!

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at netherlabs.nl
Tue Sep 17 13:59:23 CEST 2013

Hi everybody,

version 3.5.3 of the PowerDNS Recursor is now available from
https://www.powerdns.com/downloads.html

Kees Monshouwer provides native RHEL5/6 packages at
http://www.monshouwer.eu/download/3rd_party/pdns-recursor/

Full release notes, with clickable links, are available from:
http://doc.powerdns.com/html/changelog.html#changelog-recursor-3.5.3

3.5.3 is the best version of the PowerDNS Recursor currently available, and we
recommend upgrading to it.

Here is a text-only version:

This is a bugfix and performance update to 3.5.2. It brings serious performance
improvements for dual stack users.

Changes since 3.5.2:

  * 3.5 replaced our ANY query with A+AAAA for users with IPv6 enabled.
    Extensive measurements by Darren Gamble showed that this change had a
    non-trivial performance impact. We now do the ANY query like before, but
    fall back to the individual A+AAAA queries when necessary. Change in commit
    1147a8b.

  * The IPv6 address for d.root-servers.net was added in commit 66cf384, thanks
    Ralf van der Enden.

  * We now drop packets with a non-zero opcode (i.e. special packets like DNS
    UPDATE) earlier on. If the experimental pdns-distributes-queries flag is
    enabled, this fix avoids a crash. Normal setups were never susceptible to
    this crash. Code in commit 35bc40d, closes ticket 945.

  * TXT handling was somewhat improved in commit 4b57460, closing ticket 795.

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk
Netherlabs Computer Consulting BV - http://www.netherlabs.nl/