[Pdns-dev] confused by git release tags

Denis Ovsienko infrastation at yandex.ru
Fri Nov 8 16:55:55 CET 2013

List,

I have difficulty understanding the workings of a freshly cloned pdns.git repository. In particular, the recent release tags exist and look fine:

$ git tag -l -n10
[...]
rec-3.5.1       tag recursor 3.5.1
rec-3.5.2       tag recursor 3.5.2
rec-3.5.3       tag recursor 3.5.3

I would like to study the branch that these tags belong to, but cannot indentify it. For example, the tag rec-3.5.3 stands for commit c730220, which doesn't belong to any existing branch. According to the gitk tool, commit c730220 is preceded by history that includes rec-3.5.1, rec-3.5.2 and rec-3.5.3 and dates back to 2002 in a strictly linear way. This looks like a stable release-only branch managed with cherry-picks, except it has no name and isn't merged into any of the existing branches.

Could anyone tell if this is the intended effect and what is the current release workflow of pdns? Thank you.

--
    Denis Ovsienko