[Pdns-dev] My Backend Getting called multiple times

Nikhil Bose nikhilbose11 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 05:06:10 CET 2012

Hi All,

First of all thanks for the help provided. As Peter in one of my earlier
queries gave me a pointer and following that it is quite trivial to create
our own Backend in PowerDNS and using getRemote(), I was able to retrieve
the Client's resolver IP.

PowerDNS is indeed quite simple to extend. Thanks for this architecture.

I have one problem though. My backend is getting called multiple times.
Even though I just send a single query using the host command.
Just to show I put some output statements and these are printed after I
sent the client query

Here's the console output:

Nov 16 11:20:26 Creating backend connection for TCP
Constructor called
% Nov 16 11:20:26 [bindbackend] Parsing 1 domain(s), will report when done
Nov 16 11:20:26 [bindbackend] parsing 'example.com' from file
'/etc/bind/example.com.zone'
Nov 16 11:20:26 [bindbackend] Done parsing domains, 0 rejected, 1 new, 0
removed
Constructor called
Nov 16 11:20:26 About to create 3 backend threads for UDP
Constructor called
Constructor called
Constructor called
Constructor called
Constructor called
Constructor called
Nov 16 11:20:26 Done launching threads, ready to distribute questions
Nov 16 11:20:35 Distributor misses a thread (4<5), spawning new one
looked up
looked up
looked up
looked up
Constructor called
Constructor called

How I can reduce this to a single lookup() call from the PowerDNS to my
Backend?. Even constructor is called many times. Can this be configured
anywhere?

Thanks,
Nikhil.