[Pdns-dev] [dns-operations] dns response rate limiting (DNS RRL) patch available for testing

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at netherlabs.nl
Fri Jun 15 18:28:38 CEST 2012

Hello Ask,

On Jun 15, 2012, at 18:26 , Ask Bjørn Hansen wrote:

>> I have a PowerDNS branch that allows a Lua hook to be called before processing of any query:https://github.com/Habbie/powerdns/compare/master...lua-prequery
>>
>> I'm thinking building the filtering in Lua (performance permitting) would be an interesting exercise in configurability.
>
> That would be fun; and indeed great if the lua stuff can be that flexible.
>
> My Lua experience is limited to situations that were entirely stateless, so I don't know how practical its data structures are for this sort of thing.

The same goes for me, mostly; I hear rate limiting proposals for other DNS servers involve bloom filters, and doing those in stock Lua is expensive. We could of course offer a few helper classes from the C++ end to allow a Lua script to track certain things efficiently.

Suggestions on how one would approach this, in any language really, are welcome!

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk
Netherlabs Computer Consulting BV - http://www.netherlabs.nl/