[Pdns-dev] Communicator thread died because of STL error: Creating local resolver socket for ::: Address family not supported by protocol

Tomáš Brandýský tomas.brandysky at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 15:37:28 CET 2012

Hello,

we are using PowerDNS server on all DNS servers in our company but as
we decided to upgrade to latest stable release 3.0.1 few days ago we
are not able to start the pdns server because of this error:

Communicator thread died because of STL error: Creating local resolver
socket for ::: Address family not supported by protocol

I was trying to find more information how to fix this but I couldn't
find much about this except for someone who tried to change #define
HAVE_IPV6 1 to 0 in config.h before compiling which we also tried but
with no success.

I understand this is a ipv6 problem and we have ip6 support disabled
on all our production server as we are using ipv4 only.

We're currently running PowerDNS 2.9.22 without problems. All servers
are running on Centos 5.7

Is there a hope we could upgrade to 3.x version without enabling ipv6
support on our production servers ?
I don't think this would be possible in our company due to security concerns.

Thank you

Regards

Thomas