[Pdns-dev] Problem with out of bailiwick cname and mx records

Zane Thomas zane.thomas at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 22:27:51 CEST 2011

I'm writing a backend to interface with a custom database.
The database has a domain (we'll call it foobar here) and in response to

dig @127.0.0.1 foobar.com mx

The backend is returning the following (and some nameservers not shown) in
response to pdns's ANY lookup

Apr 25 13:02:49 returning foobar.com ghs.google.com. CNAME
Apr 25 13:02:49 returning foobar.com aspmx.l.google.com. MX
Apr 25 13:02:49 returning foobar.com alt1.aspmx.l.google.com. MX
Apr 25 13:02:49 returning foobar.com alt2.aspmx.l.google.com. MX
Apr 25 13:02:49 returning foobar.com aspmx2.googlemail.com. MX
Apr 25 13:02:49 returning foobar.com aspmx3.googlemail.com. MX
Apr 25 13:02:49 returning foobar.com aspmx4.googlemail.com. MX
Apr 25 13:02:49 returning foobar.com aspmx5.googlemail.com. MX

Upon return the code in packethandler.cc notes the CNAME and asks the
backend about ghs.google.com.

Since the backend returns false when subsequently asked about
google.compdns returns to dig the cname and servfail, and does not
return the MX
records.

Is that correct? Am I doing something wrong? Do I have wrong expectations?
:-)

(I can work around this by looking at the qtype in the dns packet, rather
than using the the qtype passed explicitly.)

tia!