[Pdns-dev] Recursor iterating over AXFR queries

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Wed May 19 08:52:16 CEST 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 11:00:07AM +0200, Alexander Gall wrote:
> It appears that the PowerDNS recursor treats AXFR queries received
> over UDP with the RD flag set like any other query, i.e. it sends
> iterative queries with qtype AXFR to authoritative servers of parent
> zones of the qname.  Most likely, this affects all versions of the
> recursor including 3.2.
(...)
> I'm not a PowerDNS user and only subscribed to the list to report this
> issue.  I would be grateful if somebody could turn this into a proper
> bug report.

Thanks for this report - rumours of an AXFR problem had already reached us
over IRC, but we could not trace these back to sufficient details to debug
the issue.

The issue has been verified, and has been addressed in
http://wiki.powerdns.com/trac/changeset/1619 which will form part of the
imminent 3.2.1 release of the PowerDNS Recursor.

Many thanks for reporting this issue, and apologies that this bug caused
weird queries to arrive at the .CH servers..

	Bert