[Pdns-dev] Is this a bug ?

Leen Besselink leen at consolejunkie.net
Wed Apr 22 00:12:52 CEST 2009

bert hubert wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 07:58:54AM +0100, Leen Besselink wrote:
>> An old version of PowerDNS-recursor and a djbdns all seam to return something like this (the same after a restart (I checked the djbdns)):

Hi again Bert,

> This is a bug in BIND 9.2.2.
>
> If you have a very recent 'dig' from BIND, you can do this:
>
> $ dig +nsid ad.3fr.doubleclick.net  @209.62.177.21
> and compare with
> $ dig ad.3fr.doubleclick.net  @209.62.177.21
>
> The 'nsid' option looks just like EDNS-PING on the wire, and causes the same
> problems.
>
> BIND 9.2.2 has other issues too, so I hope people will upgrade quickly. In
> the meantime, I am sure we can do without the incidental ad :-)
>
> I already tried to contact Double Click, but failed so far.

I just noticed this for essent.nl and enexis.nl as well (see below).

Have you talked to them as well ?

Judging by what kind of packets it answers I presume it's a "overijverige" firewall.

I see you changed the default 2 weeks ago, can I assume you found others as well ?:

http://wiki.powerdns.com/trac/changeset/1350/trunk/pdns

leen at ubuntu64:~$ dig +norec @ns1.nic.nl essent.nl ns | grep IN | grep -v ';'
essent.nl.              7200    IN      NS      ns01.essent.nl.
essent.nl.              7200    IN      NS      ns02.essent.nl.
ns01.essent.nl.         7200    IN      A       145.46.221.4
ns02.essent.nl.         7200    IN      A       145.46.131.4
leen at ubuntu64:~$ dig +nsid +norec @145.46.221.4 www.essent.nl a

; <<>> DiG 9.5.1-P2 <<>> +nsid +norec @145.46.221.4 www.essent.nl a
; (1 server found)
;; global options:  printcmd