Release Candidate: PowerDNS Authoritative Server 2.9.22-rc1
bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Tue Nov 18 20:48:31 CET 2008
2.9.22 will be a very important PowerDNS release, especially since it
contains so much change compared to 2.9.21.
This is why the full 2.9.22 release is preceeded by at least one Release
Candidate, and this is it.
Some major sites already run this version, totalling over 100,000 domains,
so things appear to work.
We sincerely hope more people will help test this release. If you report
success, or failure, we'll insert your name below in the release notes. This
is an easy way to contribute to the success of PowerDNS, and get your name
Finally - this RC also protects against the issue for which 188.8.131.52 was
released this morning. So even from a security perspective, it makes sense
to test this release.
Provisional Release notes
(available with clickable links on
This is a huge release, spanning almost 18 months of
development. Besides fixing a lot of bugs, of note is the
addition of the so called 'Notification Proxy', which allows
PowerDNS to function as a master server behind a firewall, plus
the huge performance improvement of the internal caches.
This work has been made possible by UPC Broadband and Directi,
Finally, the release candidates of this version have been
tested & improved by Jorn Ekkelenkamp, Ton van Rosmalen and
(your name here!).
* pdns_control can now also work over TCP/IP. Sponsored by
Directi. Commits 1246, 1251, 1254, 1255.
* Implemented a notification proxy, see Section 19.1. This
work was sponsored by UPC Broadband. Implemented in commits
1075, 1077, 1082, 1083, 1085 and 1086.
* IXFR queries are now supported in the sense that we treat
them as AXFR queries, silencing warnings in other
nameservers. Suggested in ticket 131.
* The PIPE backend has been extended by David Apgar to allow
the reporting of errors using the 'FAIL' command, plus
support for responses with whitespace. Implemented in
* PowerDNS Authoritative server now parses incoming EDNS
options, like maximum allowed packet size. Implemented in
commit 1123 and commit 1281.
* Added support for DHCID, IPSECKEY and KX records, thanks
Norbert Sendetzky for the hint. Implemented in commit 1144.
* Norbert Sendetzky has has added support for all record
types supported by PowerDNS to the LDAPBackend.
Furthermore, the detection of OpenLDAP in autoconf has been
improved. Finally, debian has supplied some fixes to
PowerLDAP. Implemented in commit 1152 and commit 1153.
* Implemented EDNS NSID option for retrieving the nameserver
ID out of band. Defaults to hostname, can be specified
using the server-id setting. Code in commit 1232.
* Implemented experimental EDNS PING for enhanced forgery
resilience. Code in commit 1232.
* Improve packet generation performance, in some cases by
25%. Code in 1258, 1259.
* Improved access list checking performance. commit 1261.
* PowerDNS Authoritative caches were completely redone, and
are now based on the same cache that is in the resolver.
This work has been sponsored by Directi. In large
benchmarks, PowerDNS performance has improved by an order
of magnitude or more. This new version allows for
near-instantaneous cache purging, plus very rapid purging
based on suffix. Purge commands can also be batched. This
work is partially based on an innovative reverse-string
comparison function authored by Aki Tuomi.
* BIND backend speedups in commit 1108, measured at around a
20% improvement, possibly more on very large setups.
* Tyler Hall discovered the PowerDNS configuration file
parser had problems with trailing tabs. This turned out to
be a wider problem in PowerDNS. Buggy code replaced by a
library call in commit 1237 and commit 1240.
* Connection reset by peer events in the TCP nameserver no
longer lead to the cycling of database connections. Code in
* PowerDNS used to ignore certain queries it could not
answer. These queries are no longer ignored, but get a
SERVFAIL response. Implemented in commit 1239.
* Fix subtle CNAME and wildcard interactions reported by
'zzyzz', implemented in commit 1147.
* The generic backends did not honour the default-ttl
setting. Spotted and implemented by Matti Hiljanen.
* Matti Hiljanen discovered that the OpenDBX backend did not
fill out the SOA ttl value properly. Matti also improved
the SQL statements for better compatability. Implemented in
* Treat invalid WWW requests better. Spotted by Maikel
Verheijen, implemented in commit 1092.
* Documentation errors and typos, spotted by Marco Davids
(commit 1097) and Rejo Zengers (commit 1119)
* Properly fill out the 'recursion available'-flag. Spotted
by Augie Schwer in ticket 167.
* Several memory leaks on bad data in the database or other
errors have been fixed. Addressed in 1078 and 1079.
* In contravention to the documentation, the domain type as
specified in the database ('MASTER', 'SLAVE' or 'NATIVE')
was interpreted case sensitively. 1084.
* BIND backend could crash on processing information about
slave zones to be checked. Spotted by Stefan Schmidt, fixed
* Jelte Jansen of Stichting NLNetLabs discovered PowerDNS in
BIND mode couldn't operate as a root-server! Fixed in 1057.
* 'DPS' discovered there was a rare opportunity for PowerDNS
to lock up waiting for new data. Addressed in 1076.
* Make singlethreaded mode more resilient against errors.
* DNSSEC records were part of 2.9.21, but were not actually
hooked up. Please note that while PowerDNS can serve most
DNSSEC records, it does not do DNSSEC processing.
Implemented in 1046.
* Shawn Starr migrated all his domains to PowerDNS in one
evening, from an installation that had been used since
BIND4. In doing so, he found 3 bugs in as many hours. An IN
statement in the BIND named.conf with a zone with a
trailing dot was misparsed, fixed in commit 1233. Secondly,
the zonefile parser tripped over a line consisting of
nothing but comments in the wrong place. Finally '$ORIGIN
.' was misparsed. Last two issues fixed in commit 1234.
* Our statistics counters did not wrap correctly after the
2.15 billion mark. Spotted by Stefan Schmidt, reported in
ticket 179, fixed in commit 1284.
* Bindbackend could sometimes generate very strange error
messages while processing a malformed zone file. Sometimes
such error messages could cause a crash (reported on
HP-UX). Addressed by commit 1279. This could not be
triggered remotely. Closes ticket ticket 203.
* Zoneparser improvements mean $TTL and $INCLUDES now work a
lot better. Implemented in 1056, 1062.
* Direct queries for 'fancy records' would lead to errors,
such queries now fail early. Spotted by Jorn Ekkelenkamp,
implemented in 1051.
* Fix typo in geobackend, closing ticket 157, implemented in
* Initial work on TSIG support - not done yet. Spurred on by
* Embarrassingly, the 'master' configuration setting was not
documented in the list of all settings!
* Norbert has updated OpenDBX so that SQLite reads and writes
no longer deadlock, plus compliation fixes on Solaris, plus
the addition of autoserials to backends that support
triggers. Implemented in commit 1154.
* Random generator is now based on AES, improving the
security of certain proxy operations. This is the same
random generator that is in the recursor. Implemented in
* Documentation for 'supermaster' mode was improved due to
* When binding to a UDP port failed, supply a more precise
error message (commit 1245)
* The zoneparser error messages were vastly improved,
partially inspired by Shawn's cowboy migration. Code in
* Labels are compressed more efficiently
(case-insensitively), leading to smaller packets.
Implemented in commit 1156.
* Fix handling of TCP timeouts to not cause a reload of the
backends. Implemented in commit 1092.
* Move from select() to poll()-based multiplexing, allowing
PowerDNS to listen on more than 1024 sockets
simultaneously. One big PowerDNS user needs this.
Implemented in 1072.
* Zone2sql now reads source files in performance enhancing
inode order. Additionally, zone2sql
http://www.PowerDNS.com Open source, database driven DNS Software
http://netherlabs.nl Open and Closed source services
Pdns-users mailing list
Pdns-users at mailman.powerdns.com
More information about the Pdns-dev