[Pdns-dev] Extending the LDAP Backend

Norbert Sendetzky norbert at linuxnetworks.de
Sat Mar 22 13:58:59 CET 2008

Hi Adrian

> I'm looking at extending the LDAP backend to allow a more flexible
> schema for storing domain information.  Instead of having the user
> locked into the dnsDomain2/domainRelatedObject schema, I'd like to be
> able to have a set of options in the configuration file like:

I like the idea of giving the user the possibility to use something different
than the "dc" attribute for LDAP DNs. This could be useful for some
installations out there.

Why do you want to use custom attributes for certain record types? Do you want
to switch from an existing LDAP/DNS installation using a different schema to
PowerDNS? If yes, which one?

> One thing I am wondering about, though, is this: are default values
> supported in the config file?  Can I leave an option out and just have
> a default put in its place at run-time?  This would be, to me,
> essential.  You might want to change the domain component attribute to
> something other dc, but leave the rest of the attributes with their
> default values by not putting any entries for them in the config

You have to define the acceptable configuration values and can assign default
values to them. Please have a look at the bottom of the ldapbackend.cc file.

Norbert
--
OpenPGP public key
http://www.linuxnetworks.de/norbert.pubkey.asc