[Pdns-dev] Exception: unknown escape sequence on NAPTR regex

Peter Fern pdns at obfusc8.org
Sat Jul 26 01:25:38 CEST 2008

Hi all,

Sorry for the cross-post, but I don't seem to be getting a lot of love
on -users with this query, and I assume this list is more apt to respond.

Original query follows:

I am attempting to serve NAPTR records with E2U regular expressions,
requiring escaping of characters by employing a '\', eg:

100 0 "u" "E2U+sip" "!^\+([0-9][0-9][0-9])$!sip:\1 at somesiphost.com!" .

I'm running a master/slave setup, with a gmysql backend master, and bind
backend slaves, both now running 2.9.21.  I was previously running
2.9.20, but whilst gmysql was serving results perfectly, the bind
backends were choking trying to serve NAPTR, returning:

Jul 17 17:25:01 ipbx pdns-slave[31280]: Backend error: Missing content
for type NAPTR 'xxx.xxx.xxx'

as per ticket #67
(http://wiki.powerdns.com/cgi-bin/trac.fcgi/ticket/67).  Following the
advice there, I've updated to 2.9.21 for the MOADNSParser, however now
the gmysql backend reports:

Jul 17 18:19:35 ipbx pdns-master[780]: Exception: unknown escape sequence

when trying to serve escaped data.  The assumption in ticket #170
(http://wiki.powerdns.com/cgi-bin/trac.fcgi/ticket/170) is clearly
wrong, and not exactly the response I would have expected (nor, I
assume, would the reporter).

Can anyone shed some light on why pdns is attempting to process escape
sequences when parsing a record?  And more to the point, is there an
easy way to fix this behaviour.

Regards,
Peter Fern