[Pdns-dev] some news, "MOADNSParser" from PowerDNS Recursor has now taken over the PowerDNS Authoritative Server!

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Sat Mar 17 22:40:36 CET 2007

Hi people,

Some good news tonight.

Firstly, EasyDNS [1] has sponsored the transition of the PowerDNS
Authoritative Server to the packet parsing/generating structure as found in
the PowerDNS Recursor already. This move has just been completed, and will
now need a lot of testing before we release 2.9.21.

  [1] EasyDNS - http://www.easydns.com/

This will bring support for a host of new and exciting record types, like
SSHFP, SPF, KEY and AFSDB. Snapshot 972 available on
http://svn.powerdns.com/snapshots/972 contains the new code, which is still
in very rough shape. It is however a lot shorter and more modern, which
lowers our maintenance load - 1234 lines of code have been removed from
PowerDNS, while adding functionality.

Secondly, Aaldering ICT [2] and True BV [3], have sponsored a new server and
colocation facility! Dave Aaldering has been implementing PowerDNS since
almost the first release, True are big users of PowerDNS who provide high
quality feedback, and have previously sponsored fixes.

  [2] Aaldering ICT - http://www.aalderingict.com/
  [3] True - http://www.true.nl/index_en.html

There is still some way to go to 2.9.21, but we are a lot closer than we
were before the big 'MOADNSParser takeover'.

If you want to help, please try out the snapshot, but be aware it might
very well contain bugs at this stage!

Many thanks to EasyDNS, Aaldering ICT and True for their support!

	Bert